I was featured on the cover of the Philadelphia’s City Paper yesterday!
Concurrent to my home projects, my knitwear designs, sewing projects and full-time job is another long-running project of mine. I’m an aerialist, a circus acrobat who specializes in trapeze. I work with a performance troupe, Tangle Movement Arts, which is comprised of nine women who share a mission of combining innovative aerial dance with queer and feminist narratives.
We have a new show opening in a week (!!), Timelines, so if you’re in the Philadelphia area, you should come! To quote the press release:
A dancer swings on the pendulum of a giant clock as it ticks down moments. An acrobat echoes life evolving on earth millennia ago, rising out of the ocean and into the air via body contortion and aerial rope. Two vaudevillians can’t quite resolve their comic timing on the trapeze. And a daydreaming secretary in a 1950s office escapes to a radical future in which people and relationships connect in profoundly different ways. Past, present, and future collide in an acrobatic drama of swinging trapezes and suspended fabric.
I’ve performed with Tangle since its formation in 2011, but this performance is an extra special one. 16 months ago, I dislocated my knee while training on rope and tore my MCL. After many many months of physical therapy, I’m back to training, and this is my first time performing. It hasn’t been the easiest: I roll out of bed at 5:50am to weightlift before work, and five evenings a week, I rehearse or take classes. But moments like this are absolutely worth it.
I’m proud to represent Tangle on the cover of the paper, and I’m so thrilled to be back on stage and in the air.
In other awesome news, a fellow blogger, Kristi, nominated me for a Liebster award, which new bloggers pass along to other new bloggers in the spirit of building a community. I’m definitely interested in forming these connections, and have already found a few blogs I’ve saved to my Feedly reader based on Kristi’s other nominations. So here are the rules:
– answer the questions you were given
– keep the ball rolling and nominate 11 NEW blogs with 500 followers or less
– post 11 questions for your nominees to answer
– tag your nominees and be sure to leave a comment on their blog to let them know they’ve been nominated
So here are the questions I’ve been given:
1. How long have you been blogging? It’s actually been a while! My first post was in December 2010, but it wasn’t all that frequent and there was a 2 year lapse along the way. I’ve been seriously blogging for the last nine months.
2. What made you decide to start your own blog? I’ve always made a lot of things, and I was starting to lose track of them all. Blogging gave me a place to keep a record.
3. What is your favorite thing to write about? Finished projects!
4. Do you have a day job in addition to blogging? I have a full time job working for a hand knitting yarn company, I writing knitting patterns freelance, and circus acrobatics are the full time job I pay to do.
5. If you could pick any other city to live in, where would it be? I’m not sure I would! I really love Philly.
6. What’s your favorite blog? Apartment Therapy for the one-stop-shopping wealth of creativity. I’m really excited to branch out in my reading, though!
8. Where do you see your blog in one year? I’ve recently starting offering consult services, so I’d love to reach a wider audience. Mostly though, I want to keep making a record of my project process, because I love everything about this rapidly expanding and changing time in my life.
10. From who, what or where does your blogging inspiration come? My life! It’s a pretty self-centric blog.
11. What is the best thing about you? Maybe that I’m stubborn? I’m going to ask Nik. She says, “One of the best things about Maura is that she is supremely capable of looking at a project, a situation, a person, an object, from many angles. From every angle. And in doing so, she can sense the maximum potential of a thing in a really exciting way. And then she brings that potential to life. She contains multitudes!” (Nik is kinda the best)
So here are the blogs I’m nominating! Some are real-life friends and some are new-to-me blogs that I can’t wait to read more from, mostly in the home/craftsmanship genre. I hope you find something you like, too!
And the questions (some blog related, some just cause I think it’s interesting to get to know people better):
- Why do you blog?
- Where do you find your inspirations and materials?
- What drives you outside of your blog pursuits?
- What’s the worst vacation experience you’ve ever had?
- Favorite quick, weeknight dinner?
- How do you take your coffee?
- Favorite blog?
- If you could eliminate one thing from your daily schedule, what would it be?
- What does ‘being creative’ mean to you?
- What would be your ideal workspace?
- What mode of transportation suits you best?
Also! If you have a blog, I want to know about it! Leave me the link in the comments!